plan your visit to the frankenmuth dog bowl
Frankenmuth Dog Bowl is a FREE family fun festival that takes place at River Place Shops! Dogs are welcome and encouraged – please make sure they are up to date on vaccinations and on a leash at all times! Read on for lodging and restaurant recommendations, and for our festival’s Frequently Asked Questions below!
NEW THIS YEAR! Registration is now open for the VIP Festival Package with tons of special offers and goodies from Dog Bowl AND your very own dedicated parking space right next to the festival grounds! Plus register for the Annual Canine Cruise and our FREE festival prize drawing – click here to visit our registration page for more details!
Those designated with a dog paw are pet friendly lodging choices.
Bavarian Inn Lodge
Located next to Dog Bowl festival grounds, this beautiful German-themed lodge offers 360 rooms, an arcade and several dining options.
Located a minute away from Dog Bowl festival grounds – features free continental breakfast!
Fairfield Inn Frankenmuth
Located in downtown Frankenmuth – featuring a complimentary breakfast!
Drury Inn & Suites Frankenmuth
Located in downtown Frankenmuth – featuring free hot breakfast! Learn more here.
Rupprecht Vacation Haus
Located a minute away from Dog Bowl festival grounds – can sleep up to 11 people – one small dog allowed on property during festival weekend.
Frankenmuth Jellystone Park Camp-Resort
Located a minute away from Dog Bowl festival grounds – featuring family-friendly activities and a pool!
SpringHill Suites Frankenmuth
Located in downtown Frankenmuth – featuring a complimentary breakfast and indoor pool!
Located in downtown Frankenmuth – featuring free hot breakfast!
Zehnder’s Splash Village
Located a few minutes away from Dog Bowl festival grounds – featuring family-friendly activities and indoor waterpark!
Those designated with a dog paw are pet friendly dining choices.
Cass River Bar & Grill
Located at River Place Shops – featuring a pub-style menu with with burgers, pizza, a full bar menu and more than 40 arcade games in the River Place Game Room.
Phone: (989) 652-3070
La Crepe du Jour Creperie & Café
Located at River Place Shops – featuring a menu full of made-to-order French-style crepes, both sweet and savory. Enjoy a taste of Paris in Michigan’s Little Bavaria!
Phone: (989) 652-2925
Located at River Place Shops – featuring traditional and specialty homemade pasties, bubble teas, snow ice treats, and dog-friendly menu items!
Phone: (989) 502-5009
Fischer Platz Biergarten
Located at the Bavarian Inn Restaurant –
this outdoor patio is next to the Dog Bowl festival grounds and features German brats, sandwiches, and the World-Famous Chicken!
Located at the Bavarian Inn Lodge – this outdoor patio is next to the Dog Bowl festival grounds and features salads, sandwiches and various American and German entrees.
Michigan On Main
Located at the Bavarian Inn Restaurant – this outdoor and indoor dining area is next to the Dog Bowl festival grounds and features a variety of craft beer and pub-style food menu.
Please note, animals are not allowed inside shops that serve food items because of health safety standards with the exception of service animals.
Want to learn more about the beautiful city of Frankenmuth? Visit the Convention & Visitor’s Bureau website for more information on dining, lodging and attractions!
EXPERIENCING FRANKENMUTH DOG BOWL
Is there a fee or cost to come to Dog Bowl?
Where should I park? Is there handicap parking available?
Parking is available at Frankenmuth River Place Shops, 925 S. Main Street, along Weiss Street near Heritage Park, and throughout downtown Frankenmuth. Handicap parking is available on the south side of River Place Shops.
As always, parking is free at Frankenmuth Dog Bowl!
NEW THIS YEAR! A VIP Festival Package with tons of special offers and goodies from Dog Bowl AND your very own dedicated parking space right next to the festival grounds! Click here to learn more and get your VIP Festival package today!
How late is Frankenmuth River Place Shops open during Dog Bowl?
Frankenmuth River Place Shops has special hours during the Dog Bowl festival. See below for opening and closing times:
- Friday: 10:00 AM – 10:00 PM
- Saturday: 10:00 AM – 10:00 PM
- Sunday: 10:00 AM – 10:00 PM
- Memorial Day Monday: 10:00 AM – 7:00 PM
May I bring my drone and fly it over the festival grounds?
We know our events are exciting and offer great subjects for drone film footage, but we ask that drone operators respect the following requests.
- The events are held on private property and the property owners ask they you do not launch or land your drone from their property. Frankenmuth River Place shops, parking lots and field, the walking bridge to River Place, Bavarian Inn Restaurant and Lodge and their parking lots, along with the Covered Bridge Gift Shop and the houses on Weiss Street are all private property.
- Be Cautious of powerlines in the area.
- Be mindful of the crowds of people and remember you are not allowed to fly over crowds.
- Drone noise could frighten a dog that is competing at Dog Bowl. Many of these dogs are competing for National titles or to go to a grand championship and their owners would be really upset if your drone noise caused their dog to lose concentration or not want to perform. We therefore ask that you do not fly directly over the dogs or their events. Please film these from a safe distance.
- If you are at a hot air balloon launch or landing site or a competition target please remember that balloons cannot maneuver out of your way, it is your responsibility to stay out of their line of flight and avoid a drone/balloon collision. Do not fly close to a balloon or directly over or under a balloon when it is in flight. Please do not fly directly over a competition target, rather stay safely off to a side that is not in the line of flight. Competition rules do not allow anything within 50 meters of a target, except for the target scoring team, we ask that you honor that rule as well.
- If you are at a Hot Air Balloon Glow we ask that you are mindful of the crowds and also please do not fly directly over the balloons or near them. (Note: the 2021 Balloon Glows will be held in three different locations, all on private property. Five balloons will be at the River Place Shops field, Five behind the Bavarian Inn Lodge at the River Front (best viewing will be from across the River from the dike near the Bavarian Inn Restaurant) and two in front of the Bavarian Inn Lodge (the tethered rides will be here as well).
What restaurants near Dog Bowl have pet-friendly dining options?
Please remember that state health codes do not allow non-service animals inside buildings where food is prepared and served.
When and where is the Pet Parade this year?
The annual Pet Parade will line up in the south parking lot of River Place Shops at 12:45 PM and begin at 1:00 PM. The parade will head north on Main Street, across the Covered Wooden Bridge and end near the Doggie Play Park in the east parking lot of River Place Shops!
Serving as the Grand Marshals are this year’s Dog Bowl King and Queen. It is free to participate – all dogs must be on leashes during the parade!
We ask all participants to wear a mask if social distancing along the parade route cannot be accomplished.
Is my dog allowed to participate and/or compete in any of the events?
Yes. Some events require early registration. Others you may register for on the day of the event. Please visit our events page for more information on how to register for different events.
Is there a place for my dog to play or rest at Dog Bowl?
Of course! There are two Doggie Play Park available for your furry friend to run around, relax and take a dip in a kiddie pool! These parks are free to use – however, dogs must be attended at all times and you must clean up after your pet. No worries, there are plenty of doggie poop bags available throughout the festival grounds.
What time are the different events? How do I sign my dog up?
All information regarding event times, registration and participation fees is available on the Events page! (Link to Events page) Events your dog can participate in include:
- Disc Dogs
- Dog Lovers Days Lure Course
- Wiener Dog Races
- Small and Big Doggie Fun Run Races
- Silly Pet Tricks Contest
- Best Doggie Costume Contest
- Annual Canine Cruise on the Bavarian Belle Riverboat
- Dog Breeds of the World Show
- Barn Hunt
When is the Annual Canine Cruise and how do I get tickets?
Online registration is now open for the Annual Canine Cruise aboard the Bavarian Belle Riverboat. Tickets cover one person and one dog for a leisurely cruise down the Cass River; the dock is located on the north side of River Place Shops. Click here to register for the Canine Cruise!
When is the fireworks show and where should I sit to view them?
The fireworks are visible from the Balloon Glow field and can also be viewed at various locations across Frankenmuth. The show is weather dependent.
EXPERIENCING BALLOONS OVER BAVARIAN INN
Are balloon rides offered to the general public?
Typically, balloon rides are reserved for our generous sponsors. If you or your company would like to be a sponsor, please visit the Sponsors page. (Link to Sponsors page)
Some of our hot air balloon pilots do offer private rides at various costs outside of the Balloons Over Bavarian Inn event.
NEW THIS YEAR! Tethered Hot Air Balloon Rides, offered on a first-come, first-serve basis at the Bavarian Inn Lodge. Tickets cannot be purchased in advance, click here for more information!
What time are the competitive flights and balloon glows?
Competitive flights during the Balloons Over Bavarian Inn take place Friday through Monday. Morning flights are anywhere between 6:00 AM and 8:00 AM. Evening flights are anywhere between 7:00 PM and 8:30 PM. Times may vary depending on the weather, winds, and approved launch time given to the pilots.
Balloon Glows are scheduled Friday, Saturday, and Sunday night from 9:00 PM until 10:00 PM at the River Place Shops field. These may change due to weather conditions. Watch the Balloons Over Bavarian Inn Twitter page for updates!
Where do the balloons land?
What if it rains? Why did an event get canceled even though it is sunny?
All fights are weather dependent. If it is raining, balloon events will be canceled. It also may be too windy to fly; pilots participate in a weather briefing before each flight to confirm the safety before going up.
Keep up to date on the status of flights and glows by watching the Balloons Over Bavarian Inn Twitter page for updates or by calling the Bavarian Inn Lodge Operator at 989-652-7200.
How do the hot air balloon pilots compete in the event?
Ballooning is a sport! This weekend’s event is a competition for the pilots. There are target made of cloth X’s that are laid out on the ground. The pilots are given bean bags with long tails attached to the end to throw from their balloon’s basket. Depending on where their bag land on the X, the pilots receive specific points. The points are then tallied up at the end of the event to determine the winners.